Vocational Rehabilitation

Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) is the process that helps people with disabilities overcome barriers to accessing, continuing, or returning to work. VR agencies help their participants prepare for, obtain, maintain, or regain employment.

Learn more about the VR Process

The U.S. Department of Education funds VR programs, with the states matching a small portion of the funds. Every state has a vocational rehabilitation agency dedicated to helping people with disabilities meet their employment goals. DSB's vocational rehabilitation process is built on the foundations created by the Rehabilitation Services Administration.

In Washington, the Department of Services for the Blind (DSB) provides VR services for people with visual impairments or blindness.

DSB’s Vocational Rehabilitation team works with participants, providing:

  • Assessment, appraisal, program evaluation, and research.
  • Goal setting and intervention planning.
  • Case management, referral, and service co-ordination.
  • Career counseling, job analysis, and job development services.
  • Functional and work capacity evaluations.

We also provide assistive technology evaluation and training, information and referrals services to help individuals gain and retain employment.

People who need more intensive skills of blindness training in Orientation & Mobility, Braille, and accessible computer usage may be eligible to attend the Orientation and Training Center (OTC) for daily, on-site instruction in these and other topics.

Learn more about the VR Process

If you have a vision impairment that makes employment hard for you, you may be eligible for services to help you prepare for, obtain, and maintain a job. Contact us for more info or request services.


Disclosure of Federal Participation

The Vocational Rehabilitation program receives 78.7 percent of its funding through a grant from the U.S. Department of Education. For the Federal Fiscal Year 2023, the total amount of federal grant funds awarded is $13,166,788. The remaining 21.3 percent of the costs ($3,563,565) is funded by State appropriations or another non-Federal allowable source.