(1) Training at a university, college, community college, vocational school, technical institute, school of nursing or other accredited training program may be provided if necessary to achieve the competitive and integrated employment outcome agreed upon by the participant and vocational rehabilitation counselor except as prohibited in accordance with WAC 67-25-320.
(2) No training or training services in institutions of higher education shall be paid for with vocational rehabilitation funds unless the participant has applied for financial aid and other grant assistance from other sources to pay for the training in whole or in part. If the participant has applied for financial aid and is waiting for the results, and denial of training funds by the department would result in interruption or delay of the progress of the participant toward achieving his or her employment outcome, the vocational rehabilitation counselor may pay training costs on an interim basis until the results of the financial aid application is known.
(3) A participant may attend private or out-of-state institutions of higher education in preparation for an employment outcome; however, financial assistance shall be limited to the tuition amount at the University of Washington or the actual cost, whichever is less. Exceptions may be made when required training is not available in the state, or if other significant factors preclude the participant from attending an available training program at a public institution of higher education in the state.
(4) The department may provide financial assistance to a participant wishing to obtain a postgraduate degree when the training is necessary to achieve the individual's employment outcome.
(5) A participant receiving training at an institution of post-secondary education must meet established scholastic standards required by the program. If the participant's grades fall below minimum standards, it shall be necessary, through assessment, counseling, and planning with the participant, to revise the individualized plan for employment including the possible selection of a new employment outcome.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 74.18 RCW. WSR 05-08-097, § 67-25-390, filed 4/4/05, effective 5/5/05. Statutory Authority: Chapter 74.15 RCW. WSR 95-06-057, § 67-25-390, filed 2/28/95, effective 3/31/95. Statutory Authority: 1983 c 194 § 18. WSR 84-19-003 (Order 84-04), § 67-25-390, filed 9/6/84; WSR 84-01-042 (Order 83-08), § 67-25-390, filed 12/15/83. Formerly WAC67-20-390.]