No substantive changes - updated language from client to participant.
(1) The director of the department of services for the blind (DSB) shall investigate the conviction records, pending charges and disciplinary board final decisions for contractors, vendors, and service providers who will or may have unsupervised access to DSB participants.
(2) The investigation shall consist of a background check as allowed under the Washington State Criminal Records Privacy Act, RCW 10.97.050; the Washington state patrol criminal identification system under RCW 43.43.832 through 43.43.834, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The background check shall include a fingerprint check using a complete Washington state criminal identification fingerprint card.
(3) The director may waive the requirement for a background check if the contractor, vendor, or service provider has been cleared in a background check within the previous two years.
(4) When necessary, the director may engage a service provider, vendor, or contractor on a conditional basis, pending completion of the background check.
(5) The investigation shall include an examination of state and national criminal identification data. The director shall use the information solely for the purpose of determining the character, suitability and competence of the individual contractor or service provider to work with the department of services for the blind participants.
(6) The director shall provide the results of the background check in writing to the contractor, vendor, or service provider.
(7) The office of the director shall maintain confidential records of all background check information. Such information shall be limited to only those individuals processing the information within the department.
(8) The fingerprint criminal history records checks will be at the expense of the contractor or service provider.
(9) Current contractors, vendors, or service providers for whom disqualifying crimes are discovered in the background check process will be notified in writing. The written notification shall include notice of termination of the contract or service provider agreement and give the individual the right to request a review by the director of the department of services for the blind.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 74.18.123. WSR 10-19-081, § 67-16-030, filed 9/16/10, effective 10/17/10. Statutory Authority: Chapter 74.18 RCW. WSR 04-12-029, § 67-16-030, filed 5/26/04, effective 7/1/04.]